Sun, Sand, and Jellyfish: My (Short) Florida Vacation

Sun, Sand, & JellyfishHello, everyone! How is your work week going so far? It’s hard to believe it’s only Tuesday… This week seems especially long since I am getting back into the groove of a full work week after a mini-vacation over the Labor Day holiday in Florida. My parents are now both (after a two year struggle of getting there) Florida residents, so I wanted to take the opportunity of a long weekend to go visit them. Although they live in Orlando, they decided to treat me to a weekend stay at a beach in Melbourne we have visited since I was a child.



Can you tell I was excited for the trip? I created this with pen and watercolor in my Passion Planner. Don’t judge the missed AM yoga class… a girl can dream. 

After a day of PD at work, my boyfriend drove me to the airport. The Memphis airport is a dream; it seems like there is never a line or any stress (knock on wood). I flew through Allegiant Air, which I had read some concerning articles about recently. However, my flight was quick and safe, and I was happy to get to Florida! I was so happy to see my parents at the airport– it had been since Christmas basically since I had seen them last. All three of us were coincidentally dressed in pink, a color trend we’d (non-purposefully) keep up for the rest of the weekend. It was dark when we arrived in Melbourne, so we grabbed some dinner at a delicious restaurant, checked out the pool, relaxed, and went to bed.

I slept in a little bit the next morning and walked outside to our patio on the top floor to a welcoming, bright sun. After getting ready, I joined my dad down at the beach where we set up an umbrella, some chairs, and a nice mat that had a pillow attached to it. I spotted a vendor with kayaks for rent, and I knew I had to do it! I love kayaking, and I had never done it in the ocean before. I rented a kayak and got a nice workout in as I kayaked about a mile back and forth in the ocean. When I returned, the vendor asked me if I had seen any sharks… thankfully I hadn’t, but later that day when my mom and I were eating lunch, my dad saw two fins! The swimmers, kayakers, paddle boarders, etc. cleared out of the ocean pretty fast after that!


Obligatory selfie. 


Kayaking was both relaxing and a nice workout!

The rest of the afternoon was spent chillin’ with my parents under the umbrella. I read, napped, got a pina colada with my mom… I was basically living the dream. That evening we drove up (?) to Cocoa Beach, where we sat at a table next to the Ron Jon of the famous Ron Jon Surf Shop. We did a quick Google check to make sure that it was him, and the first thing that came up was an article about him drunk driving. This was disappointing and deterred me from attempting to meet him, but it wasn’t enough to prevent us from taking a quick look at the store before we headed back. Once we got back to Melbourne, my mom and I treated ourselves to some ice cream, and then it was time for bed!


If you like pina coladas…

IMG_5707 IMG_5706

My nails matched the two books I was reading… 🙂 

IMG_5710 IMG_5709

Cocoa Beach 

Sunday was pretty much a repeat of Saturday! Instead of getting a workout in via kayaking, I decided to do a 3.5 mile run/walk along the beach shore. I contemplated running barefoot, but there were a bunch of jelly fish washed up on the shore, so I wore my running shoes. The tide was low so I could run on the harder sand, but it was still tough! Between the sand and the heat, I struggled and walked a little more than I would have liked. I’m glad I started out my day active, though! After the run I took a shower, and I spent the rest of the day lazing about on the beach reading. I stayed out of the ocean due to the surplus of jellyfish, but I did see a dolphin playing in the distance! That evening, I took my parents out to dinner to thank them for their support of me, and then my mom and I went back to get more ice cream. I was sad that it was our last night at the beach, but I was happy that it would be my last night sleeping on a very uncomfortable pull-out couch.


This cow was waaay too thirsty for my ice cream. 


Alarm sounds like “Ring.” Thanks for the clarification, hotel. 

On Monday morning, we packed up and headed to the Orlando area. My grandmother lives in an assisted living place there, and one of my priorities of the trip was making sure I had time to visit her. We got to spend about an hour and a half with her, and it was nice. It was sad to see her struggle with her memory, but she told me she would never forget me, which was really sweet! I hated having to leave her because I could tell she was sad to see us go. I hope I get to see her again soon. The rest of that day was spent getting a bite of lunch at Cheddar’s and then going back to the airport. This time I had a transfer in Charlotte, which was only 30 minutes. I was really nervous that I was not going to make my second plane, but thankfully I did! Leaving my parents and sunny Florida to come back for work was hard, but I am grateful for the weekend I had. My parents are awesome for taking me to the beach, and I am glad that I will be seeing them in November for Thanksgiving!

IMG_5724 IMG_5721

Thanks, mom and dad! 


I found this coke with my sister’s name on it in the airport on the way home. It’s like she got to spend part of the trip with us! (She is currently in NOLA for AmeriCorps, and she got her own beach excursion a few weeks before mine. Hopefully next time we will be in Florida as one family!)

Well, all this writing about Florida makes me wish I was back there. Thankfully I returned to the nice weather of Memphis, and I wasn’t returning anywhere with snow…

If you could go anywhere for a long weekend excursion, where would you go? Why? Post in the comments! 🙂 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *